Wednesday 10 April 2013

Battle of the Brushes

Okay, so as a loyal MAC girl, I was a little apprehensive to try the RealTechniques brushes that I have heard so much about. But for such a reasonable price it seemed crazy not to give them a go.
 I firstly bought the core collection set, which I absolutely love! (Amazing value at just £14.66 at the moment on Amazon Get them here!) I will do a review on this set very soon!
But the brush I am going to review today is the Stippling brush
This was the main brush that I was really curious to try, as it was very similar in style to my trusty MAC 130 stipple brush!


I thought I would test it out and let you guys know what I think if it and how it compares to my MAC one.


Price

RealTechniques: £11.99

MAC: £29

Bristles

RealTechniques: Synthetic
MAC: Mixture of natural and synthetic


RealTechniques

Pros
Very reasonable and affordable price.
Available in most boots stores and several online company's such as amazon.
Eye catching pink handle
Has a flat base so can stand up
Good size brush head to apply foundation quickly and easily
Brush head size also makes this brush very easy to blend all areas of face (even under eyes) with ease. 

Cons
I did unfortunately find the bristles on the brush quite coarse.
  When applying foundation I felt the bristles prickling against my skin which wasn't the most comfortable experience.
I also found this brush a bit of a challenge to clean, the white bristles take a couple of goes to get sparkling clean again. Although on the plus side, the synthetic bristles do dry very quickly. 


MAC 130

Pros
Very soft bristles. Comfortable and pleasing to use.
This is a very durable and sturdy brush. It will last you years if looked after!
Applies foundation flawlessly with little effort, the brush does all the blending for you so no need for arm ache when trying to get a streak free flawless skin!
Bristles are dense enough to buff foundation all over the skin but flexible enough for an even application. 
This brush is very easy to wash and dry. A pea size of shampoo gets all product out quickly and the bristles dry within a few minutes. 
Can be used with cream, liquid or powder products, making it an extremely versatile brush. 

Cons
Is quite pricey so may not be affordable for all budgets.

---------------

MAC #130 Stipple Brush
Price 3.5/5
Bristle 5/5
Application 5/5
Versatility 4/5
Overall 4.5/5

RealTechniques Stipple Brush
Price 5/5
Bristles 3/5
Application 3.5/5
Versatility 3.5/5
Overall 3.5/5

Okay, so the realTechniques brush hasn't won me over completely. Although it is a great alternative to the MAC 130 brush, the quality of the brush just isn't the same! 

Hope you found this review helpful, I would love to hear what you thought of these brushes? Or if you have a different favourite? 










No comments:

Post a Comment